By Ryan Duffy, Communications Fellow
Forbo Flooring Systems, a bronze-level partner of ours, is a dominant global player in the introduction and service of high-quality, commercial floor coverings & total solution flooring projects that include Linoleum, Vinyl, Luxury Vinyl Tiles, and Flocked Flooring. You can find their floors in buildings such as healthcare, senior care, education, commercial offices, government contracts, leisure & hospitality, retail, public buildings, social housing, industry, and transport– so basically any and every type of building.
Forbo's floors can be found in multiple continents and in a variety of settings and contexts. Their commitment to excellent design and responsible production is unfaltering. The company is notably interested in how its operations interact with and affect human health and the environment, and has an entire section of their website devoted to explaining this.
The company is committed to its sustainable practices; as they note, “From how they’re made to how they perform, we make truly sustainable floors that are good for people, good for buildings and good for the environment.” Forbo reduces, reuses, and recycles. Consider the following:
- The company collects installation off-cuts and helps repurpose end-of-life waste into new products.
- The company makes flooring in clean, efficient factories, powered by 100% renewable electricity.
- Forbo uses Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) as the independent methodology of measuring their impact on the environment.
- Forbo Flooring Systems has published Environmental Product Declarations for our individual floor covering products.
- The group conscientiously applies green design principle to all products and processes. In order to live up to its promise to reduce its environmental footprint by 25% in 2015, all their collections are engineered and designed to commit to this goal.
Forbo has an internal awareness program, “The Forbo Way to Win,” that fleshes out their sustainability policy and strengthens employee engagement by providing a platform for them to contribute to efforts in reducing energy consumption, the use of raw materials and waste. The company's clear commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship makes them the perfect partner for us at USGBC MA!