By Celis Brisbin, Programs Manager
The Annual Report came out for the National USGBC office. Nationally speaking, we are 12,200 member organizations and 200,500 LEED professionals strong. Their aquisitions of the PEER, WELL and GRESB, GBCI hasextended the USGBC to new sectors like health, wellness, electricity, microgrids, sustainable land design and development. USGBC's solutions for healthy and resilient communities work at different scales—from a single shop at the town center to an entire neighborhood, which provides many entry points, tools, and resources for communities wherever they are along their journey to sustainability and resiliency. And there is a great focus on Green Schools: If children are our future and conservation starts with them, then it follows that green schools are the future and conservation begins there. Read the full report here.
The Annual Report is confirming of what we know: Green Buildings are way of the future and on the rise. Here are some stats from a recent publication of the University of Guelph which are just as compelling as the Annual Report. .
Green Building vs. Traditional Buildings
- Rents on average are 3.7 per cent higher;
- Occupancy rates were 18.7 per cent higher in Canada and 9.5 per cent higher in the U.S.;
- Tenant renewal rates were 5.6 per cent higher in Canada;
- Tenant satisfaction scores were 7 per cent higher in Canada; and
- Energy consumption per square foot was 14 per cent lower in the U.S.
To read more on this study, click here.