Sustainable Design Project Coordinator | SMMA
Cambridge, MA / Full Time / Mid Level
SMMA is currently seeking a Sustainable Design Project Coordinator to join our design practice, working with SMMA’s Sustainability and Energy Efficiency Group. The Sustainability and Energy Efficiency Group’s mission is to promote the implementation and coordination of sustainable design practices across our firm’s design disciplines. We inspire teams to commit to advanced sustainability by promoting a culture of curiosity, thought leadership, and continuous improvement. We believe that intentionally pursuing deeply sustainable design will create a ripple effect through our culture and practices, design approach and delivery, ultimately resulting in change within the built environment.
This position requires an individual who demonstrates a passion for sustainability in the built environment, carbon reduction, and advanced energy efficiency. This individual must be able to work in a team environment while working independently on special projects. The candidate will work with our team of sustainability experts, conducting general sustainable design and building systems optimization, LEED, and/or WELL project coordination, including documentation support using computational design tools, such as Tally, Climate Studio, Therm, and/or WUFI. The candidate will be encouraged to promote integrative design practices, carbon reduction strategies, resilient design, advanced energy efficiency knowledge within the firm, and thought leadership in the industry.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their previous work experience, personal and professional references, and interviews.
- Provide coordination and guidance of LEEDv4 and/or WELL certification documentation
- Support the development of processes and tools to streamline LEED and WELL documentation across the firm’s integrated A&E design disciplines
- Provide/complete LEED/WELL documentation that requires using computational design tools such as Tally, Diva, Therm, and/or WUFI
- Provides support to project teams for advanced building performance, sustainable design methodologies, and emerging technologies
- Provides support in further developing and coordinating resilient design, including strategies such as the Passive House, as well as health and wellness design practices within the firm
- Participate in SMMA’s in house sustainable design initiatives and research projects
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) in Engineering and/or Architecture
- LEED GA/AP and/or WELL AP
- 5+ years’ experience with sustainable design in the AEC industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Thermal enclosure performance/building science knowledge
- Revit (Autodesk) Knowledge a plus
- Passive House knowledge and/or certification a plus
- Daylight modeling experience a plus
- Computational design skills in WUFI, Therm, Diva, Rhino, Dynamo, and/or Grasshopper a plus
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.