Placetailor | Mechanical Engineer
Time to solve the city. At the heart of the urban challenge is the creation of housing, the energy and impacts of its use, and the signals and relationships that define our community. Solve this and we regenerate the environment, dismantle social ills, revitalize the economy, all of it. Design is the resistance.
Placetailor is an integrated development, design, and construction cooperative focused exclusively on Zero Carbon housing. Our mission is to facilitate the rapid transformation of the housing industry, through replicable design solutions. We do this through our own fully integrated projects as well as through collaborations with other clients and designers.
Placetailor seeks a mechanical engineer to join our team at Roxbury Crossing. This would be the first in-house engineering position, intended to lead and grow our engineering services. We see this as a critical component in our ability to continue driving accessible, sustainable housing innovation in the region. This person would work within our design studio, Placetailor / Elton-Hampton Architects, and work closely with our Passive House consultants and Chief Impact Officer to further our projects and our strategic goals.
The ideal candidate should have a PE license and have experience designing mechanical systems for high-performance multifamily buildings. The candidate should be passionate about their work, meticulous about energy efficient design, and familiar with mechanical systems for buildings with extremely low loads. The candidate should be self-sufficient in terms of mechanical system design, and work well as a collaborative member of our overall development team.
The candidate should be capable of designing mechanical systems from start to finish and would have the following responsibilities:
● Manage the HVAC design process
● Manage their time and budget
● Perform heating and cooling load calculations
● Perform psychrometric, air and water flow, pressure, and horsepower calculations
● Select equipment
● Coordinate with other disciplines (electrical, plumbing, fire protection, architect, structural, etc)
● Design and produce permit and construction documents in Revit
● Write specifications
● Document compliance with applicable Massachusetts building codes
● Meet with vendors to review products and determine specification requirements
● Respond to questions that arise during construction and accurately review product submittals
● Coordinate with contractors in the field to ensure compliance with design
● Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
● PE license
● Experience designing residential HVAC systems, preferably that have Passive House or similar level of performance
● Excellent organizational and communication skills
● Proactive and collaborative team member
We offer excellent compensation and a competitive benefits package, including Medical coverage and 401K, to all of our full-time employees.
Placetailor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to Coin Booth: [email protected]