Building Performance Specialist | Utile
Utile, Inc. is a Boston-based firm currently undergoing plans to open an office in Providence, RI.
We are experts in urban design, planning, architecture, and interiors. Our current architectural projects include multifamily housing at all scales and market sectors, innovative workspaces for design savvy organizations, and institutional and civic design commissions for leading academic and municipal clients. Utile’s work has a particular focus on how sustainable design, such as Passive House standards, adds value to all of our work, especially our affordable and non-profit housing development projects.
We are seeking a passionate and enthusiastic Building Performance Specialist to support our growing Passive House work and advance our integrated sustainability efforts on a wide variety of projects. The daily responsibilities will include conducting analysis work and communicating complex ideas to project teams and clients, under the guidance of the Director of Sustainable Design. As a new position in our firm, we are looking for someone who can grow into this specialized role.
- Assist with in-house Passive House consulting
- Provide support to project teams for sustainable design and building performance analysis
- Serve as a resource for solar and daylight analysis at various stages of project design
- Support early-phase sustainability compliance documentation, such as LEED checklists and narrative writing for proposals
- Assist with sustainability integration on urban planning and design work, such as climate action plans and design review for development projects
Required Skills & Expertise:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in engineering, building technology, or related field
- 1-2 years of experience working on sustainable, high performance projects
- Understanding of the Passive House standard; Certified Passive House Consultant credential a plus
- Experience with WUFI Passive modeling
- Proficiency in Rhino and Microsoft Excel
- Experience in thermal bridge and condensation risk simulation in THERM
- Familiarity with other software such as Revit, Climate Studio, EnergyPlus, and Sketchup a plus
- Understanding of high-performance building envelope, glazing, and net zero design concepts
- Knowledge of HVAC systems, especially for multifamily housing a plus
- Familiarity with LEED and other sustainability rating systems, a plus
- Capability to communicate clearly and concisely, and demonstrate a competency presenting ideas and concepts
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
Utile offers competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, commuter benefits, professional development opportunities, and a work environment that thrives on the exchange of ideas and open dialogue. Utile is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a workspace that serves as a home for a community and culture reflective of the diverse populations our work serves. We seek to build an inclusive office and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
To apply, please fill out this form and use it to upload your resume, cover letter, and work sample/portfolio (10MB max). If you have any further questions feel free to reach out to [email protected].